Skip to main content

FuriBee GT90, First Impression

GearBest kindly sent me a Ready-To-Fly 90mm brushless qaudcopter to review: the FuriBee GT90 Fire Dancer.


As the name suggests, it is a fierce and fiery little spinner! I have not yet had the opportunity to fly the little quad outdoors yet, because of winter weather. And it is actually a little too fierce to be flying indoors, to my taste (I am not that good a flyer yet, so I need lots of room ;) ). Plus, our dog likes to go after that high pitch sound of those 1104 7500KV (!) motors. I did give it a try, but it was so responsive that I crossed the room before I knew it! So I am waiting for an opportunity to go play outside, but I wanted to share my first impressions from the unboxing with you guys (and girls) already.

The little pink lady comes fully assembled, with a full set of spare 5-bladed (!) props, and a choice of receivers. I chose the FrSky compatible version, but there is also a FlySky version, and a DSMX version. Or you can choose a version without receiver.


First impression, out of the box: "Wow! This one is pretty!" With pink props and pink aluminium frame bars, this really is a looker.
It's a really small copter, which will fit in an opened hand, or just about. It weighs in at only 62 grams (84 grams with a 600 mAh 2S battery).



The quad could potentially take a 3S battery, but I am not sure if the added weight of a 3S battery would mean even faster responses. Plus, I don't think 3S would be benificial to the overall flight time. And since I find it fierce enough with "only" 2S, I'll leave it tat that for now. (also, my smallest 3S is 850 mAh, so that adds even more weight).

The FrSky receiver is of the D8 type. Something to make sure you enter in the model receiver settings on your radio, when binding.


A D8 receiver is generally not a real problem for such a small flyer. Range will be limited to about 100m I suppose, but that's really all you'd expect from a 90mm quad. I will do a range test before I fly outside, and report back in one of my next posts. And more than 8 channels is probably not something you'll be looking for in this category of small park flyers.

Of course, it gets a little cramped with components inside such a small sized frame. With the VTX on top, and the RX underneeth that, you might have to wiggle out the RX a little to reach the bind button.


But that is a one-time ting, so that's acceptable.

The Flight Controller is of the F3 type, with an integrated OSD. Further down on the 20x20 power stack is a 4-in-1 10A (15A burst) BLHeli Dshot600 ESC board. So basically, all the functionality of the bigger brothers is in this tiny model as well :)

The VTX delivers a remarkably clear image, compared to the other camra/VTX combinations I have seen to date. The little purple camera in the front resembles in shape a Runcam Micro Swift. but it is not branded at all. Nevertheless, it delivers a good quality, bright image. It claims to be a CCD camera, which is not something I would expect at this price point.



Latency is obvious, as you can see from this 10 second video, but if it will be a problem flying this quad FPV, I cannot judge just yet. I'll have to get back to you on that, again after flying outside.


You will have to wait for my outdoor flight review for an answer on that one.

One tip I have for potential new buyers: add a buzzer. That's the only thing that I see missing in this quad. And these kind of small quads tend to easily get lost in bushes, or even tall grass... It would mean that you'd have to disassemble the frame, and solder on two wires, then re-assemble everything. But even if it saves you from loosing the quad alltogether only once, that's certainly worth the effort!

Of course, the quad is available from GearBest. Here's the links to the various receiver variants:
FrSky compatible version,
Gearbest FuriBee GT 90MM Fire Dancer Micro FPV Racing Drone FRSKY
FuriBee GT 90MM Fire Dancer Micro FPV Racing Drone FRSKY

FlySky version,
DSMX version,
version without receiver.




FuriBee is a GearBest brand.
Gearbest Dynamic and distinctive, Furibee brings high tech RC fun with some stunning and eye-catching designs. If you have the need for speed with uniquely cool quadcopters, few brands can match the raw excitement of Furibee. promotion
Dynamic and distinctive, Furibee brings high tech RC fun with some stunning and eye-catching designs. If you have the need for speed with uniquely cool quadcopters, few brands can match the raw excitement of Furibee.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tevo Tarantula prints

I am very happy with my Tevo Tarantula 3D printer! I have it up and running for about 6 weeks now. Let me tell you about my prints so far! Reading all the forums, facebook groups, and of course the Tevo website, I decided on the way forward after finishing the build. First, I would need to be able to print dimensionally reasonably accurate parts. In order to achieve that, I fist took a  look at the extrusion. It is important that the extruder extrudes the commanded length of filament, to within a few percent. To check that, I fed in the filament for only a few centimeters. With that as "0", I measured 120mm from the infeed side of the extruder, and marked the filament with a black marker. Then, I commanded the extruder to feed 100mm into the teflon tube, and mesured how far from the extruder infeed side the mark ended up. That should be 20mm, of course, but in my case it was less than that. So I had to tune down my extruder a bit. As I measured 17mm, it had "over-

Binding FrSky S8R stabilizing receiver

What could be easier than binding a receiver to a transmitter, right? Push the bind button while powering up the receiver, put the transmitter in binding mode, wait a few seconds, done! Well ... With the FrSky S8R receiver, there are a few "other possibilities"...

ZOHD Talon GT with Matek F405 WING, GPS, BlueTooth, FPV, Long Range - Part 1

This is going to be a small series of me assembling a ZOHD Talon GT in an INAV configuration. I have the Talon on order already, and am waiting for it to arrive. Banggood was kind enough to supply me with a MATEK F405 WING flightcontroller, a Ublox M8N GPS , and an FrSky XM+ receiver to test this configuration 😁 The Talon was paid for regularly, mind you. Just to be clear and transparent on that. This makes an INAV configuration possible, but the most obvious next step would be to introduce a long-range transmitter module / receiver combo. The XM+ shoud have a decent enough range to fly line of sight, and maybe some FPV, a little further out, but an FrSky R9M setup (ca. €100), or even better: a Crossfire setup  (ca. €200), would be the way to go for this type of flying. I don't have those yet, so donations are always welcome! That can be as simple as clicking on any of the (affiliate product links in this blog, and ordering something from those stores that are linked. It do