Skip to main content

Durafly Tundra

With my background in aviation, I was interested in flying airplanes too. While looking around for something Nice and easy to fly, I stumbled upon the Durafly Tundra. I knew I had to have one right away! A STOL plane with large Tundra tires, and flaps would be ideal to fly at the clearing next to the camping. A slow flyer of significant size (1300mm wingspan), so that it would still be well visible at a few hundred meters away.

At a price of less than €200, it would be within my range in a couple of months of saving. But then I saw an add for a second-hand one, with 4 batteries included, for €170. Apparently, I responded just in time, because the next day i could go pick it up! This guy had started building it, but it had sat on his bench for almost half a year without any progress already, so he had decided to sell it. So it was practically new, a touch cheaper, and it came with 4 batteries 😃
I had to learn to fly, of course, so I knew I was going to crash a couple of times. I did not have the illusion that i would keep it in this pristine condition. But with a bit of practice in a simulator, and my experience with flying actual size planes, I thought I'd be allright to give it a try.

So there came one day that I had finished putting the plane together, and found myself at the clearing next to the camping. It was right at the start of my summer holiday too! I had sought out an area where the was some short grass as a landing strip, and this was it: my christianing in model airplane flying!
I tried a simple take-off, and straight ahead landing, just to see how the airplane handled. It did not want to turn left or right, so that was a relief! I did need to adjust the pitch trim quite a bit, and I had read before that when applying flaps, a pitch-down mix was needed to keep it flyable. So that's what I did first. After a few take-offs and taxi-backs, I found it was time to practice circuits. Flying towards me on final, and landing past me, so I would be facing in the flight direction upon touchdown. That worked! Yes, I did crash a couple of times. One time I simply flew too slowly, and stall-spinned on the base-to-final turn. I hit the ground nose first, and the whole nose got to be about 5mm shorter. After expanding the foam with steam, and shortening the cockpit hatch for the remaining 1mm I could not iron out, I was ready to go out there again.
One of my next landings was a good one in itself, but the roll-out went through rough sand, and despite the large Tundra tires, the main landing gear got stuck and the plane nosed over. Nothing fancy, but the propeller broke, and I did not have any spares on hand! I ordered them directly from HobbyKing, but they only had stock in China, and they would of course only send to my home address, so I would not have them before the end of my holiday... I needed to find an RC store in the neighbourhood to get me some new 12x6 props. Preferably Carbon fiber, like the original. I ended up with glass bead reinforced plastic ones from 2 Brothers RC in Bussum, so I could continue my now 7 minutes old flying adventure 😃

-to be continued-

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tevo Tarantula prints

I am very happy with my Tevo Tarantula 3D printer! I have it up and running for about 6 weeks now. Let me tell you about my prints so far! Reading all the forums, facebook groups, and of course the Tevo website, I decided on the way forward after finishing the build. First, I would need to be able to print dimensionally reasonably accurate parts. In order to achieve that, I fist took a  look at the extrusion. It is important that the extruder extrudes the commanded length of filament, to within a few percent. To check that, I fed in the filament for only a few centimeters. With that as "0", I measured 120mm from the infeed side of the extruder, and marked the filament with a black marker. Then, I commanded the extruder to feed 100mm into the teflon tube, and mesured how far from the extruder infeed side the mark ended up. That should be 20mm, of course, but in my case it was less than that. So I had to tune down my extruder a bit. As I measured 17mm, it had "over-

Binding FrSky S8R stabilizing receiver

What could be easier than binding a receiver to a transmitter, right? Push the bind button while powering up the receiver, put the transmitter in binding mode, wait a few seconds, done! Well ... With the FrSky S8R receiver, there are a few "other possibilities"...

ZOHD Talon GT with Matek F405 WING, GPS, BlueTooth, FPV, Long Range - Part 1

This is going to be a small series of me assembling a ZOHD Talon GT in an INAV configuration. I have the Talon on order already, and am waiting for it to arrive. Banggood was kind enough to supply me with a MATEK F405 WING flightcontroller, a Ublox M8N GPS , and an FrSky XM+ receiver to test this configuration 😁 The Talon was paid for regularly, mind you. Just to be clear and transparent on that. This makes an INAV configuration possible, but the most obvious next step would be to introduce a long-range transmitter module / receiver combo. The XM+ shoud have a decent enough range to fly line of sight, and maybe some FPV, a little further out, but an FrSky R9M setup (ca. €100), or even better: a Crossfire setup  (ca. €200), would be the way to go for this type of flying. I don't have those yet, so donations are always welcome! That can be as simple as clicking on any of the (affiliate product links in this blog, and ordering something from those stores that are linked. It do